Here's a few quick tips to help you keep your groceries out of the trash..
1. Make a weekly menu, plan to eat the produce early in the week to avoid spoilage.
2. Make a list of what you need and stick to it!!
3. Before you head to the store, scan your fridge, freezer and pantry to make sure you don't already have the things on your list.
4. Don't shop hungry, that's a sure way to over buy.
5. Limit your trip to 30 minutes, anything longer than that and you're likely to end up with random things in your cart.
6. Use the first item in, first item out rule.
7. Be mindful of "use by" dates, but don't throw if out if it expired 5 minutes ago.
8. Don't overdo #7, you don't wanna eat something that has stuff growing out of it!
9. If a recipe calls for an ingredient you don't use often and you have leftover, look up other dishes that use it or freeze it and repeat the dish in a few weeks.
10. Eat your leftovers for lunch the next day or freeze them for when you're too tired to cook.
11. Avoid boredom by using your leftovers to create a different meal.. Today's baked chicken can be tomorrow's chicken salad.
12. Turn your soft fruits into smoothies and your wilted veggies into soups.
13. Cut up your sad looking yet still edible food, stick it in a dated ziplock and freeze it for later.
14. The day after your last planned meal should be an "eat what I have" day.. Look around your fridge, freezer, and pantry and come up with a meal from there.
15. If all else fails, cut off the "good part" and cook it for your pet.. OR just compost it!
Let me know how it works for you :)